Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Children's Hopechest Video

I came across this video at Kari's My Crazy Adoption blog.  She has several videos included on her blog and this one caught my eye.  It's fairly short, so take a moment to watch it.

As I watched, I saw the numbers, the statistics.  78 million people live in Ethiopia.  The country has 4.8 million orphans.  That is a staggering number.  Essentially, 1 person out of every 16 is an orphan.  How can this be?  How can these children possibly be cared for?  What do these children think each night when they go to bed?  What do the exhausted careworkers at the orphanages think?  What is the solution?  How can anyone do anything substantial to help resolve this crisis?

I don't have the answer to many of those questions.  These are questions that I often wonder myself.  And although I cannot satisfactorily answer these questions to the point that my heart is calmed, I do know two things.  First, I can do something.  Whatever that is, I can do something.  Whether that is giving money, praying, visiting orphans, fostering, or adopting - I can do something.  Those things don't solve the crisis of orphans across the world, but they might solve the crisis for one or two or three orphans.  Second, God is always working as the Father of the fatherless.  He loves them greatly and cares for them.  Somehow in His plan and His wisdom, He has included the orphan as a special category of people whom He has great compassion for.  I know that He is the answer to their hurt and their pain and their loneliness.  He is the solution.  He has the water that will allow them to never thirst again.

As I mentioned above, when watching the video, I saw the staggering numbers.  But, what I saw even more, were the faces of the orphans.  The need is great.  What is God calling you to do today?  We can all do something.  What is the something for you?


Ethiopian Orphans from Simon Scionka on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment